29.2.12

Digital Papercut: sifting through books

Trying to sift through the tons of baby books in amazon took an impressive amount of my time while pregnant. Most of my disappointment stemmed from the fact that books on pregnancy and parenthood have rather dogmatic authors.

From delivery to lactation options, from sleeping habits to "einstein baby" gimmicks, you can find data supporting every possible angle of any given subject. What I really appreciated in the books I'm posting was the writing style of the authors. Open minded, accepting that different things work for different people, discussing multiple sides of every subject - all in all helpful and non-judgemental.

Without any further ado, I present the "favorite books" list

My favorite book on delivery:
The big book of birth by Erica Lyon
( I felt so reassured and relieved after reading this book that I e-mailed a thank you note to the author).

My favorite book on baby sleep:
Better Baby Sleep: A handbook for parents by Jane Stockly

My favorite book on breastfeeding:
The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk by Diana West

My favorite "smart" baby book:
Brain Rules for Babies: How to raise a smart and happy child from zero to five by John Medina

My favorite infant potty training book:
ECSimplified by Andrea Olson


3 comments:

  1. some of my favourites:

    Ina May's guide to breastfeeding (Ina May)- hardcore, love it
    The food of love, your formula for successful breastfeeding (Kate Evans) - so funny
    Dr Sears the baby book (Dr Sears)- good reference
    The no-cry sleep solution (Elizabeth Pantley)- still working on that one...

    ReplyDelete