21.7.12

Cloth Diapers - Long Term Test - 6 months

After 6 months of continuous use I couldn't be happier with cloth diapers.
All of them are holding up pretty nicely, we've never experienced a diaper leak or a bum rash.

If at first I was happy to share my enthusiasm for cloth, now am I surely singing in praise.

The few times we had to use throw-aways (pampers and libero) not only did we have to clean up pooped clothes but also there was something very wrong with the smell...
Pee smells like burned rubber and poo always smells much stronger than in cloth diapers.

The 6 months mark:
pop-in by close parent The bamboo edition is still going strong although when I first got them they looked frail. Works wonder in the summer, but I wouldn't recommend bamboo for colder climates as they take more time to dry.

oh katy Still my favorite kind of pocket style microfiber. The inserts are still very absorbent and they have little extra buttons that helped the first months.


blueberry Minky shell are soft but I don't recommend them for warmer climates. The most expensive but great quality inserts.

happy heinys maybe the best microfiber inserts of the lot... after everyday washing for months they still absorb like new...

fuzzibunz The waterproof fabric looked thin but to date they are still going strong.

rumparooz while big for a newborn, great for a 6 month old as the insert shape isn't rectangular but is "shaved" on the sides reducing the bulk around the legs.

bumgenius still my least favorites... The only ones of the bunch I wouldn't buy again. The inserts have become super thin and don't absorb anything anymore.

Lastly GroVia have retreated to the back of the shelf as they still take forever to dry (in 38c summer!)






We used to wash every day at first but have been washing every other day after the first 3 months. 
We do not use a pail as we found that the best way to keep the diapers from stinking is washing them by hand to get the pee/poo off (for poo we use a toothbrush) and keep them in a open container in the bathroom. Even in the summer heat we have never had a problem with smell.

The organic bamboo velour wipes are also still in great shape after daily use! (we use them for pretty much everything! (vomit, sweat, napkins, wipes) 


Along with the homemade wipe solution:
4 cups of chamomile infusion, 15 drops of lavender oil and 10 drops of tea tree oil.

I have been using a homemade cream:
1 ounce olive oil, 1 ounce shea butter ,1 ounce cocoa butter and 1/2 ounce beeswax.

The bottom line:
My six month old uses around 4-6 diapers per 24 hours. One of them at night.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, after reading your interesting posts on cloth diapers I finally decided to try Oh Katy diapers for my 7 months old little boy...but I have some problems with leaks....can you help me?
    Even using both inserts the diaper lasts for a maximum of one and an half our, and then pee gets out from the legs area.
    I always check that the insert/s is/are flat inside the "poket", I avoid creams, and follow instruction for diaper washing...except for the drier that I do not own...
    Have you tips to give me?
    How is it going now for you?I am thinking about buy some Happy Heniz and Rumparooz to complete the stock....

    Thanks!!


    Ari

    ReplyDelete